SMS Marketing is sending promotional campaigns or transactional messages for marketing purposes using text messages (SMS). These messages are mostly meant to communicate time-sensitive offers, updates, and alerts to people who have consented to receive these messages from your business. Many claims that this form of marketing is dead but is it?
Let’s start with some statistics, this will help you with information on the impact of SMS Marketing creates on our day to day life.
- 7 million people chose to receive business SMSes in 2020.
- 48% of the world population owns smartphones in 2021.
- More than 60% of people read their SMS within 5 minutes.
- Text sign-ups for Attentive mobile customers grew by 53% in 2020.
- 45% of potential clients would choose a product or brand after receiving an SMS.
- There will be 7 billion mobile users in the world by 2024.
- Message volume will increase by 40% in 2021.
- 75% of people aged 44 and below like contacting businesses via text.
- 88% of people use their phones mostly for texting.
- Nearly ¾ of clients would prefer to make reservations by SMS.
- 62% of businesses said that the biggest advantage of SMS is quick delivery.
- Retailers increased their spending on SMS platforms by 56% in 2020.
- Over 3/4s of clients want businesses to send them offers using SMS.
- Only 30% of consumers receive SMS text messages from businesses they patronize.
- 45% of clients respond to branded messages.
- Only 13% of organizations let consumers respond to SMS.
- 9 in every 10 consumers who enrol in an SMS loyalty program benefit from their participation.
- 7 million customers opted in to receive SMS in 2020.
- Users are 4.5 times likely to respond to a text than to an email.
- 40% of women are texters.
- 60% of consumers want to reach support via messaging.
- 83% of consumers would like to receive booking appointments via text.
- 10,000+ people used Giant Eagle’s SMS initiative to find out how they could get goods without getting into the store.
- SMS subscribers could reach 8 billion by 2023.
How does this impact business around the globe?
Looks pretty alive, doesn’t it? SMS is one of the most useful marketing channels. SMS is an excellent way to reach customers directly. By including a link in this text, you can drive engagement with your business online. Although email and SMS marketing have many similarities in their strategy implementation, they work best in tandem. You can use SMS to send instant notifications, while email contains more long-form content. SMS is very helpful in delivering critical information with a high success rate. If your business is trying to operate in countries where data is expensive and wi-fi is less common, SMS is a much better channel to communicate information.